Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Trend Expert 101- Elise Alonzo


What is your education background?

  • Art Institute of Seattle- Bachelors in Fashion Design

How did you become an expert in trending?

  • Research, passion and a great job as a buyer for Dillard's after graduation.

What was the most difficult task for you starting out?

  • Initially I wanted to be a fashion show producer, which I sill do on the side, but as far as Dillard's the biggest challenge was understand the marketing side to fashion, it wasn't taught to me in school my degree is in design but they had so much confidence in my ability to be a buyer, they just through me in there.

So far, what has been the most rewarding aspect of your trending career?

  • Dillard's sent me to Brazil to over see manufacturing on a line of shoes which were my design. It was amazing to see the process in front of me and so rewarding to see the final product hot off the press.

How does working for a large corporations compare to a small one?

  • It's night and day. The large corporation world is like a little box which is driven by sales, what is selling is what you sell no if ands or buts. There are far to many guidelines for my creativity to blossom. Working as a fashion show producer on the side I am the trend setter, what I say goes, I forecast what I think is next, it's my predictions and yes they are usually right.

How do you stay current?

  • Blogs and research period. I unfortunately do not have $10,000 to buy Pantone books but you can do pretty well on the web, which is free. I also look to the past and research how trends have evolved to see where they are going.

What trends do you think are here to stay?

  • Well it depends on the season. Denim, the summer dress and floral prints will always be around from February through June, where as dark hues will always be F/W. The iconic edgy style will never go away, it will evolve over time however not reincarnate to how it once was, this is society evolving.

No comments:

Post a Comment